The National APIDA Panhellenic Association hosted its annual Standards of Excellence Awards at the close of the 2020 NAPA Annual Meeting. This year, the ceremony convened over Zoom as the annual meeting transitioned to a virtual format due to travel restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
“In a year where so much has challenged us, it is increasingly important to celebrate our successes. NAPA organizations and our individual members continue to exemplify excellence, even in midst of a global pandemic,” says NAPA Chair Bilal Badruddin. “It has been extraordinary witnessing the success of our member organizations through such a difficult year. Even though we were virtual this year, the Annual Awards celebration continues to be a great way to end our Annual Meeting.”
2020 Award Recipients
- Advisor of the Year: Kevin Saberre, MGC Advisor for the University of Texas at Dallas
- Change Agent of the Year: Victoria Lee & Jennifer Tam (αΚΔΦ)
- Professional of the Year: Kristine Ramos (αΚΔΦ)
- Undergraduate of the Year: Tammy Pham (ΔΦΛ)
- Volunteer of the Year: Tram Vo (αΚΔΦ & ΛΦΕ)
Local Chapter Recognition
- Outstanding Cultural Programming: Delta Phi Lambda, University of Central Florida
- Outstanding Educational Programming: Delta Epsilon Psi, College of New Jersey
- Outstanding Philanthropic Programming: Lambda Phi Epsilon, Cornell University
- Outstanding Recruitment Programming: Delta Epsilon Psi, Texas Tech University
- Outstanding Virtual Programming: Delta Kappa Delta, University of Texas at Dallas
- Outstanding University Council: Multicultural Greek Council, University of Texas at Dallas
- Alumni Initiative of the Year: Alumnae Volunteer Reserve Program (αΚΔΦ)
- Foundation of the Year: Delta Phi Lambda Foundation, COVID-19 Emergency Relief Funds (ΔΦΛ)
- Publication of the Year: The Paradigm (ΔΚΔ)
- Social Media Campaign of the Year: Together for Change (αΚΔΦ & ΔΚΔ)
- Collaboration of the Year: National Virtual Convention 2020 (ΔΕΨ & ΣΣΡ)
“I am continually blown away by the dedication and commitment of individuals and organizations within NAPA to elevate the standards of excellence for APIDA Greeks and create representation within the larger community,” says NAPA Director of Membership Ruchir Dixit. “I am proud to see the sheer number of exemplary individuals and organizations.”
2020 Award Judges
The 2020 application cycle received 72 submissions reviewed by 6 judges across a mix of student affairs, fraternity/sorority headquarters, and corporate professional backgrounds.
- Di’Monique S. George: Associate Director of Student Engagement at RIT
- Upesh Desai: Executive Vice President, Delta Epsilon Psi National Fraternity Inc.
- Caitlin Lindsay: Associate Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life at Gettysburg College
- Sam Waltmeyer: Office of Student Leadership at Carnegie Mellon University
- Adam M. Bantz: Coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority Life at the University of Kentucky
- Rani L. Somers: Coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority Life at Wichita State University
“It is abundantly clear NAPA chapters and members have the potential, knowledge, passion, and networks to build better futures for their communities,” says Sam Waltmeyer, Office of Student Leadership at Carnegie Mellon University.
“As the advisor to the United Greek Council at the University of Kentucky, which governs special-interest and culturally-based fraternities and sororities, it was an absolute honor to read about the incredible impact NAPA member organizations and individual members are making in our communities,” says Adam M. Bantz, Coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority Life at the University of Kentucky.
“Congratulations to all of the nominees and winners,” Di’Monique S. George, Associate Director of Student Engagement at RIT. “I know this has been a difficult year for many to navigate but your commitment to your communities and chapters continues to show the amazing power that cultural-based fraternal organizations have in shaping leaders that extend well beyond an undergraduate education.”
NAPA organizations set the gold standard for Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) fraternities and sororities. In addition to meeting the association’s base standards, NAPA member organizations are exposed to resources and expertise to help them continually improve and be the best they can be. Universities, Greek Councils, and students want the best APIDA fraternities and sororities on campus and they can find them in NAPA.
Bilal Badruddin, Chair
National APIDA Panhellenic Association